Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
query regarding backup software
Scenario
If one has backup file of system image on a external hard drive. And then after a few days the os crashes. So to restore the system image, can one restore it after reformating windows on the internal hard drive or he has to create a bootable cd/usb?

windows 7 installed in internal hard drive
one takes a system image backup of the windows 7 os in an external hard drive
after some days windows 7 crashes
so can one reformat the internal hard drive and then restore the windows 7 image from the backup software?
yes.
If you have taken system image using WIndows software, then you can restore it as-is. Talking abt Win7

I have done it

Yes, you would need either a bootable USB/CD to boot to system restore, connect ext HD, point to image and restore
thanks for reply. But i wanted to know is it possible to restore the backed up system image on a new windows 7 reformated os on the same internal hard drive? ie on windows 7 desktop through backup software
(11-23-2017 , 03:41 PM)dhruv2193 Wrote: thanks for reply. But i wanted to know is it possible to restore the backed up system image on a new windows 7 reformated os on the same internal hard drive? ie on windows 7 desktop through backup software

Yes. It is possible. I recently formatted my Windows 10 PC, and after it was installed, I used a backup which I had taken about 6 months ago to restore it. I did not have a backup disc.
Grr knows I did this too. He helped me with some issues over the phone.

P.S: Windows 10 uses the same backup and restore as in Windows 7/
(11-23-2017 , 03:41 PM)dhruv2193 Wrote: thanks for reply. But i wanted to know is it possible to restore the backed up system image on a new windows 7 reformated os on the same internal hard drive? ie on windows 7 desktop through backup software

yes u can, as hardware is the same. it basically wipes out everything and then restores the image. Thumb
thanks for the reply. query resolved
(11-23-2017 , 07:17 PM)dhruv2193 Wrote: thanks for the reply. query resolved

Do reply back once U perform the Operation  Tongue
(11-23-2017 , 07:22 PM)grr Wrote:
(11-23-2017 , 07:17 PM)dhruv2193 Wrote: thanks for the reply. query resolved

Do reply back once U perform the Operation  Tongue
Thanks i did once restore and it worked flawlessly.
windows 10 makes image
but it does not restore it.
this occurs from version 1709.
(03-26-2018 , 07:33 AM)eufrasiox Wrote: windows 10 makes image
but it does not restore it.
this occurs from version 1709.

That is why i use third party software like macrium or acronis