Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Man Creates 28,000 Windows Discs to Reduce E-Waste, Faces Prison Time
http://news.softpedia.com/news/man-creat...9880.shtml      Man Creates 28,000 Windows Discs to Reduce E-Waste, Faces Prison Time
Microsoft also demanded $420,000 in damages for lost sales
Feb 21, 2018 06:48 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa ·  Share:      
Eric Lundgren, the founder of a recycling company whose clients include IBM, Motorola, and Sprint, is facing a 15-month prison sentence and a $50,000 fine after he created a total of 28,000 Windows recovery discs to reduce e-waste.

The 33-year-old entrepreneur is being accused of conspiracy and copyright infringement, and he pleaded guilty to 2 of the 21 counts that were filed against him.

As the Washington Post reports, a federal appeals court has granted an emergency stay of the sentence in order to give Lundgren the chance to explain what exactly happened and how he ended up being accused of piracy.

But according to his statements, the problem wasn’t that he manufactured the recovery discs, but that he used Dell’s and Microsoft’s logos on them.

“Software piracy”
Recovery discs are typically offered by manufacturers to customers who purchase new PCs in order to diagnose and repair operating system issues, but in most of the cases, especially when using old systems, these are lost, pushing many buyers towards the acquisition of new machines. By making these recovery disks, Lundgren believes he could reduce e-waste by helping customer restore the performance of their systems.

“I learned the back end of what happens when things are thrown away,” he says. “I started learning what planned obsolescence was and I realized companies make laptops that only lasted as long as the insurance would last. It infuriated me. That’s not what a healthy society should have.”

Recovery images can often be downloaded from the websites of device manufacturers, but Lundgren admits that he hoped to sell his discs. He says Microsoft doesn’t not sell restore discs, but only licenses, and his recovery CDs would have only been offered to those who have genuine Windows installed.

Lundgren goes on to explain that Microsoft accused him of software piracy. “Microsoft wants your head on a platter and I’m going to give it to them,” the assistant U.S. attorney on the case has been cited as telling him.

Lundgren will appear before the 11th Circuit to convince the judge he shouldn’t receive prison time, though Microsoft seems very keen on sending the man to jail for copyright infringement. The software giant hasn’t offered an official statement by the time this article was published.
i think this is the only offense - he used Dell’s and Microsoft’s logos on them Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StaxRip 2.0.0.0 Rip movies from DVDs and Blu-ray discs to convert mrtrout 0 4,143 01-02-2019 , 02:36 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
  Hollywood Keeps Screener Piracy ‘Alive’ by Mailing 70,000 Discs a Year mrtrout 0 2,402 11-03-2017 , 06:14 PM
Last Post: mrtrout