Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
How To Defer Windows 10 Updates
Quote:Every month the vernacular changes. There was a time when it was called the <something> update. Now, it’s called the “help with your update” update. If you go to the Settings App, you can choose from different types of updates. Isn’t this fun? I don’t love updates.

I used to. There was a time when I looked forward to Windows updates. Really! That was back when things were similar to what might be called stable. Now days, Windows is far from stable. It is a gamble every time you download an update. It may, or may not, work. Unless you absolutely, positively can’t live without a new “feature”, my recommendation is to hold off until it appears that most of the bugs have been exterminated.

If you are one of the wise ones who would rather be safer than be on the bleeding edge (just because), then read on…

How To Defer Updates

Use the Windows Key + I to open the Settings App
Click on Update & Security
In the left panel, click on Windows Update
In the right panel, click on Advanced options
That should bring you to a screen that looks like this:

[Image: settings-advance-options.png]

In the first drop-down menu there are two choices:

Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) – This option will cause updates to be delivered to you when Microsoft thinks it should, probably sooner than later
Semi-Annual Channel – This option will delay update delivery to a schedule that resembles those of businesses. In other words, later rather than sooner (not late enough these days)

Feature Updates

The next drop-down menu lets you control what Microsoft calls Feature Updates. This includes major feature changes and additions such as those found in the infamous 1803 patch. You can set this anywhere from zero days to 365 days. As you can see, mine is set to 60 days. I’ll keep jigging this number upwards until I am satisfied that Microsoft has fixed the update, or at the very least, has brought it to a reasonably stable condition (i.e., where fewer people are complaining about it).

Quality Updates

Quality Updates include security patches such as Windows Defender virus definitions. These are important to stay abreast of, so I don’t recommend delaying this. You can, however, set this delay for up to 30 days.

No Guarantees

In the past, notably in Windows 7, Microsoft has not recognized these settings and has updated systems even though these delays were in place. I have not had this happen to me, but you need to be aware of it, just in case.

The same goes for Windows Home users. Normally, telling Windows Home that you are on a metered connection is enough to stop the unwanted updates, but again, this does not always work.

Why Microsoft would put in place these user controls and then sometimes ignore them is beyond me. Honestly, it only serves to lull their customers into feeling a sense of control which may not necessarily exist. The only true way to guarantee that you won’t receive these unwanted updates is to pull the plug. You’re right– I don’t like that option, either.

SOURCE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10: Disable updates tarekma7 0 807 09-04-2023 , 09:41 AM
Last Post: tarekma7
  How to Pause Windows 10 Automatic Updates To Avoid Critical Bugs sidemoon 0 1,319 03-03-2020 , 01:19 PM
Last Post: sidemoon
  How to configure Active Hours to avoid Windows 10 sudden restarts during updates tarekma7 0 3,008 05-12-2016 , 09:26 PM
  Bypass login after Windows 10 Updates tarekma7 0 2,298 04-25-2016 , 02:59 PM