Poll: Open vs. Closed Forum
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Open
39.13%
9 39.13%
Closed
43.48%
10 43.48%
Not Sure
17.39%
4 17.39%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Discussion / Open vs. Closed Forum
As you all know last month I had deactivated the registered links plugin so our guests, friends and family could also view the Promo2day forum as we all see it while being logged in. At the moment this plugin has been activated and we now have a closed forum where our guests see the following (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.) vs seeing the links.

A closed forum allows a little more privacy for members but an open forum can be indexed by search engines and usually generates more traffic and more user registrations. Most developers like links shown and our daily newsletter is also much better.

We can still have a closed area that is available only to full active members like giveaways and posting but most of the site would be visible.

There are some advantages to having an Open vs. Closed Forum and I would like to do a poll and have open discussion about this for the next week before making a final decision on what our active members prefer for the future.

Closed. I prefer privacy as being the ultimate right on a wild online life. 
But if it is better for the forum and future growth i will also agree on an Open forum with limitating user exposure.
So if the forum will become open i would like that all or most of the links or threads leading to an identificable person or activity that can lead to track a user to be removed or private. This might be a win-win situation.

Thumb
(12-30-2018 , 01:59 PM)dinosaur07 Wrote: Closed. I prefer privacy as being the ultimate right on a wild online life. 
But if it is better for the forum and future growth i will also agree on an Open forum with limitating user exposure.
So if the forum will become open i would like that all or most of the links or threads leading to an identificable person or activity that can lead to track a user to be removed or private. This might be a win-win situation.

Thumb

I don't understand how a closed forum is any more private dino? Anyone can join the forum and see all your links anyhow. It's up to the individual what you want to share or who you wish to be friends with.
option for topic starter to make it not visible for guest
so it can Optional
or just make share link (twitter g+ facebook) private form guest
(12-30-2018 , 02:20 PM)Mike Wrote:
(12-30-2018 , 01:59 PM)dinosaur07 Wrote: Closed. I prefer privacy as being the ultimate right on a wild online life. 

Thumb

I don't understand how a closed forum is any more private dino? Anyone can join the forum and see all your links anyhow. It's up to the individual what you want to share or who you wish to be friends with.

It is more private simply by not making it easier to a guest read everything.
CLOSED because it will be more motivation to set up an account and if everything will be visible without logging in, logging will lose meaning
(12-30-2018 , 02:52 PM)Bjyda Wrote: CLOSED because it will be more motivation to set up an account and if everything will be visible without logging in, logging will lose meaning

Logging in will let you reply to posts, start threads, enter giveaways and use the chatbox. Guests will not have any of these options.
I have voted "Open".

You check any forum, hundreds of "Guest" browsing the forum. Guests are the potential members, and should be allowed to view the forums or contents, with the restrictions in place.

Guests should be allowed to view the forums, contents, giveaways, etc. They shouldn't be allowed to view the users profile, and other private or privacy related stuff.

Guests try to view or access the not allowed stuff, it should take them to the registration page.

I think, you should allot a good space, on the Homepage, below the Trending bar, and have "Welcome to the Promo2day Community", a little info about the community, and a "Sign up" tab, for the unregistered users.
If time is set to view the links
For example, 1 hour to visit the site
after end time
Register or Login to view.
Hm. I should have at least 2 posts to see the content of a thread. But how can I post something that makes sense without seeing what the others wrote?