• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Reputation Button working again
Hi all

Reputation button is enabled and working again

Please let me know if there are any problems
(11-10-2019 , 07:32 PM)tarekma7 Wrote: Hi all

Reputation button is enabled and working again

Please let me know if there are any problems.

First, I wish to say a big "Thank You" to the Administrators for reinstating this powerful feature for the member's use. ... Then I have to confess that I have had a little problem that needs to be aired before I feel safe using the Rate/Reputation button again.

May I ask humbly that you please send me a warning via PM or email before you suspend my Rate Button privilege again for improper usage? ... I was not warned when it happened a couple of months ago. 

... I tend to befriend the people in life online and offline whom I observe acting unselfishly for the sake of good causes, such as helping save people's lives - or helping the growth of this forum with great posts and sponsoring personal software contests. 

I learned in my 20s to look for such people and try to sincerely give them cause to be my friend.  In counter fashion, I learned to run from, disconnect, or at least avoid, selfish, narcissistic, cruel, and self-destructive people. 

So, some months ago I inadvertently got myself into a trap by rewarding my forum "buddies"/friends with Rating/Reputation points for the same reason that I befriended them in the beginning, for sacrificing their time and effort to help the forum and its members. 

If the Reputation button is not there to give incentive to the members to help the forum grow, then what is it there for?

I learned as a psychology student that no animal or human does anything for long without being rewarded, especially regarding unselfish things/behaviors. ... Many believe communism was doomed because there was no incentive in the system for people to do more than show up at the workplace.  In capitalist cultures, people are given many kinds of incentives to excel in their efforts such as promotions, pay raises, financial bonuses and workplace awards.  ... The military gives medals and higher rank. 

Please kindly correct me if I am wrong, which I very occasionally am, but the "Rating button" leads to the only incentive that the membership can bestow other than being voted as the "Member of the Month."  The CROWN,  ( LINK,)  is awarded to "Well known and recognized member who received more than 200 reputation points."  

If the "Thank you" button is good, then the "Reputation button" is great as an incentive for continuing the unselfish acts that the forum leadership must want.  There are a lot of people in our world who do not get recognized for their kindness or good works in their non-virtual world but would love to get recognized/exalted in a virtual world community like this forum. 

Golly, throughout my long life I have been rewarded and awarded far more than I deserve from my peers, friends, bosses, and society with honors and materialism. 

Then, last week Mike awarded me two buttons for my posting header: "GOLD MEMBER" and "THE JOKER."  I was "tickled like a little kid" / made very happy when I saw that the next day that he had done this. .... In the following week, I made more threads, posts, and went out of my way to try to help fellow members than I ever have.  So, even an old hardened realist, like me, can be motivated unconsciously by rewards, awards, and recognition by those he respects, as I have come to respect Mke.

Well, that's enough said on the subject, just please let me know before you decide to do anything to me if there is a next time.  I may be able to explain what I was trying to do or stop the behavior if I am wrong. OK?

I have come to love this place and sincerely care for many of the people I have met here.  Heart

Thank you kindly for hearing me out. Smile
Elijah
Rate button is actually different to trophy/special award badges. As far as I know, it was temporarily suspended due to some misuse & some members abusing the rate system that was noted by the Staff members. So to prevent that, the button was disabled for some time. So even if you or I only use it for good intention, there was a temporary issue regarding abuse of system.
I don't think there is any option in the forum software to individually activate or disable rating button for one individual member, other than regular/senior members mod & admins being able to use it perhaps (I am not sure). So when it was disabled by the Staff members, it was disabled for all members, regular/senior or new alike. Be well assured it was not just for you or any of your use of it. I personally am quite sure you do not intend to misuse or abuse it. Hope this helps.
(11-18-2019 , 11:06 AM)tregs_beales Wrote: Rate button is actually different to trophy/special award badges. As far as I know, it was temporarily suspended due to some misuse & some members abusing the rate system that was noted by the Staff members. So to prevent that, the button was disabled for some time. So even if you or I only use it for good intention, there was a temporary issue regarding abuse of system.
I don't think there is any option in the forum software to individually activate or disable rating button for one individual member, other than regular/senior members mod & admins being able to use it perhaps (I am not sure). So when it was disabled by the Staff members, it was disabled for all members, regular/senior or new alike. Be well assured it was not just for you or any of your use of it. I personally am quite sure you do not intend to misuse or abuse it. Hope this helps.

Maybe I was wrong to say anything.  ... If so, I am truly sorry. 

To be crystal clear, I do not think any admin or moderator has done anything wrong. 

Thank you, my friend, tregs_beals, for your very kind words. Heart  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member reputation updated tarekma7 1 841 08-19-2022 , 03:04 PM
Last Post: dinosaur07
  Reputation tarekma7 0 3,450 04-29-2020 , 12:14 AM
Last Post: tarekma7
  Reputation Rules Mike 0 2,130 05-31-2016 , 01:39 AM
Last Post: Mike
  Reputation Change Decreased Mike 0 1,426 03-30-2016 , 11:31 AM
Last Post: Mike