Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Warning Issued For Millions Of Google Gmail Users
Quote:06/27 Update below. This post was originally published on June 25

A Google bombshell last week gave users a great reason to quit Windows 10. Now serious new problems mean millions of Gmail users might want to join them.

Reported by both Windows Latest and MSPowerUser, Gmail users are discovering that Microsoft’s Windows 10 built-in Mail client is deleting their emails and/or sending them to spam automatically. One user described their experience:

“I have been facing an issue with the Windows 10 Mail app linked to a Google account. I have noticed that when I respond to emails, the email I send disappears and cannot be found in sent items, outbox, bin, spam, or anywhere actually. The disappeared email cannot be found on gmail's web interface either. It appears that it is automatically deleted and erased from the server.”

06/27 Update: according to several posters, Google has confirmed this is a Microsoft problem rather than Gmail which means users will have to wait for a Windows 10 update rather than a Googles server-side tweak. In addition to the workarounds detailed below, an additional temporary fix has been found:

Gmail.com > Settings > Filters and blocked addresses > Create a new filter
In 'From' field enter your address
Click 'Create filter'
On the next page, select 'Never send it to Spam'
Click 'Create filter'
This workaround isn't perfect because it creates two sent items in Windows Mail but it does stop Gmail emails being lost or deleted which is the most important, thing until Microsoft comes up with a fix.

“The latest version of Windows Mail has broken the settings for Gmail,” confirmed a Windows Insider MVP. Stating that the only workarounds are to either a) remove your Gmail account from the Mail app and weaken the security settings in Gmail by allowing access to less secure apps (guide), or b) remove your account and use Gmail’s manual IMAP settings (guide). If you are lucky, you may be able to recover some of your lost email from spam afterwards.

So what has caused this potentially damaging problem? Most fingers currently point at the troubled Windows 10 May 2020 Update (surprise, surprise), though by no means all. As it stands, Microsoft has not acknowledged the problem and it remains an ongoing cause of concern for all Gmail users who access their email via the Windows 10 Mail app.

I have contacted Microsoft and Google about this and will update the post when I know more.

SOURCE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warning: Fake installers for Windows 11 with malware in circulation mjcn19 0 656 07-27-2021 , 07:54 AM
Last Post: mjcn19
  Microsoft Confirms New Windows 10 Update Warning tarekma7 0 1,625 05-26-2020 , 06:51 PM
Last Post: tarekma7
  Windows 10 update urges millions to ditch Google Chrome for good sidemoon 0 1,612 04-28-2020 , 12:26 PM
Last Post: sidemoon
  Critical Patches Issued for Microsoft Products, February 12, 2019 Mohammad.Poorya 0 2,003 02-13-2019 , 08:16 PM
Last Post: Mohammad.Poorya
  Microsoft Issues Windows 10 Upgrade Warning Mohammad.Poorya 0 1,480 01-27-2019 , 05:21 PM
Last Post: Mohammad.Poorya