Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Microsoft Edge 91 will be the first to support syncing on Linux
[Image: DZSOrip.png]

It took Microsoft quite some time to release the first versions of its Chromium-based Edge web browser for Linux. One thing that was not implemented in the initial releases was support for syncing data. While data syncing was a work in progress for a long time on Windows and Mac OS as well, Linux users had to wait a bit longer still.

Now, with Microsoft Edge 91 comes synchronization functionality on Linux. The feature is available in development versions and labeled experimental, which means that users need to enable it right now to make use of it.

The functionality enables Linux users to sync data such as passwords, favorites or extensions. It does require a Microsoft account, but that is to be expected as Microsoft's sync functionality requires a Microsoft account on all supported platforms.

To enable syncing on Linux, Linux users need to do the following:

Make sure that Edge is at version 91.0.831.x or higher.
Load edge://flags in the browser's address bar.
Search for MSA sign in.
Set the status of the flag to Enabled.
Restart the Microsoft Edge web browser.
Login functionality becomes available after the restart. Select the profile image on the browser's main toolbar and there sign in to sign-in with a Microsoft account.

The feature syncs data using the account, which means that synced data will become available on other platforms.

Microsoft notes that the synchronization may take a few seconds to complete.

Linux users may experience issues when the feature gets enabled. Microsoft published a few scenarios on its Tech Community website. These are:

My browser is not behaving correctly since I logged in and enabled Sync.
My browser crashes when I launch it since I logged in and enabled Sync.
Disabling things as described above did not work for me.
Deleting my Profile folder did not work for me.
Edge can be started with the parameter --disable-features=msOneAuthEnableMSALSignInOnLinux to turn off the feature; useful if it is not starting anymore after enabling it.

A quick test of the sync functionality on several Linux systems was successful. Syncing could be enabled and was working as expected on these devices.

Now You: do you use your browser's sync functionality?

Source

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update Microsoft is bringing Linux’s sudo command to Windows 11 Imran 0 928 02-09-2024 , 07:32 AM
Last Post: Imran
  Microsoft Edge Getting a New Password Security Feature mrtrout 0 912 11-20-2021 , 09:31 AM
Last Post: mrtrout
Smile Microsoft Edge 91.0.845.2 was released in the dev channel mjcn19 0 874 04-08-2021 , 07:04 AM
Last Post: mjcn19
  Microsoft plans to align all Edge codebases later this year Mohammad.Poorya 0 1,153 03-10-2021 , 12:38 PM
Last Post: Mohammad.Poorya
  Microsoft Wants to Make It Clearer How It Improves Microsoft Edge mrtrout 0 1,034 02-02-2021 , 07:39 AM
Last Post: mrtrout