Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Post: Reddit Facebook
Chrome Set to Surpass Internet Explorer
Microsoft’s Internet Explorer has dominated desktop browser market share for many years, mainly because it’s simply just there. Let’s face it, any browser which is built-in to the operating system has a decided head start on 3rd party browsers. However, that situation appears to be rapidly coming to an end as Google’s Chrome browser steadily makes ground on Internet Explorer.

Let’s look at the desktop browser market share trend over the preceding 10 months (as per NetMarketShare):

[Image: desktop_browser_markey_share_trend.png]

The market share percentage for Internet Explorer also includes the new Edge browser.

The differential between April 2015 to February 2016 in near enough to: Chrome +11%, Internet Explorer -11%. Which works out at an average swing of a little over 1% per month. If we then extrapolate that rate per month we can quite confidently predict that Chrome will overtake Internet Explorer as #1 desktop browser by around October this year. However, historically, these types of trends tend to accelerate as the disparity narrows so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the big event didn’t happen even earlier – perhaps as early as June or July.

When you think about it, Google seems to outdo Microsoft in most mutual endeavors. One can only surmise that the brains trust at Google is either a lot smarter than Microsoft’s equivalent, or more in tune with the users, or perhaps both. I wonder if Google has ever considered producing a full-blown desktop operating system? I seriously doubt Google would want to do battle in a field where Microsoft has traditionally dominated but, you never know.

As a side note: Even though Firefox hasn’t really lost any significant ground over the past 11 months, it’s disappointing to see the once popular browser as a comparative non-entity in the battle for supremacy.

Source

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The World’s Quickly Moving Away from Internet Explorer tarekma7 0 1,831 04-02-2016 , 03:18 PM
Last Post: tarekma7